Monday, June 11, 2012

Snow White and The Huntsman


6.5/10 STARS
I've waited MONTHS to see this movie.

Snow White and The Huntsmen is COMPLETELY different from the previously screened Mirror, Mirror.  This film was packed  with far more action sequences; the overall take on the film was a much more serious tone, and the graphics in this film excelled the latter.

I am a fan of Kirsten Stewart (Snow White) as well as Chris Hemsworth (Huntsman) and Charlize Theron (Evil Queen). To be honest, I think the cast was a perfect choice. They all did an exceptional job in their roles.  

The graphics in this film were STUNNING and just down right creative. For example the Evil Queen's Mirror was very cool, and did not resemble the typical mirror as seen through various film adaptations. The Queen's powers and flock of crows were also my favorite alongside her soldiers who would shatter into black spears.

The cinematography for this film as well as editing was excellent. One of my favourite scenes in the film (which can been seen in the trailer) was the Queen submerging into a bath of white paint (as it looks) and emerging once again. The scene with Kristen Stewart wondering among a fairy like land and wondering towards a light in the distance was also cleverly shot.

As for the film score music, I am excited and in complete awe with it.  Florence + The Machine performs one of the songs called "Breath of Life" which is played in the ending credits, and certainly ties the whole film together. The score was composed by James-Newton Howard ( Hunger Games, The Dark Knight) in which he incorporated Medieval Irish melodies.

 
One critique I have about this film is the lack of dialogue/ character lines for Snow White (Kristen Stewart). In this 2 hour film, her lines were short, and she conversed very little with the remaining characters. Which is a shame being she is one of the main characters.

Another critique I have is the ending. Oh how the ending was terrible. I cannot emphasize this enough. I don't want to spoil it for those who have not seen it, but when you do I'm sure you might agree.

Overall I was left somewhat disappointed with this film. I feel like it had all the right elements to deliver a gem of a film but didn't.  I've also heard that there is to be a sequel, let's just hope the writer and director step up their game.

I rate this film 6.5 stars.

For all those who are wondering how do I rate films these are the things I look for: Plot, Graphics, Acting, Film Score, Editing